It’s a feeling familiar to so many: tired, uncomfortable eyes following extended screen time.
In today’s world, people are using technology more than ever to stay connected and busy. Working from home and participating in video conferences. Completing courses through e-learning. Reading digital books. Binge-watching the TV shows that everyone is talking about. Browsing social media or online shopping.
There is no denying that screens are a significant part of our lives. Although there are many benefits to these advancements in technology, their use can also cause eye tiredness, dryness, headaches, blurred vision, and neck and shoulder pain—symptoms characteristic of a condition called digital eye fatigue.
Regardless of how you’re using your digital devices, here are seven tips to help combat digital eye fatigue:
- Take a 20-20-20 break. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Reduce overhead lighting to eliminate screen glare and adjust the brightness of your screen or device to a level that is comfortable for you.
- Increase the text size on devices so you can see the content better.
- Clean your screen regularly to ensure better visibility and reduce stress on the eyes.
- Remind yourself to blink often, as it helps with dry eye symptoms.
- Set up your workstation ergonomically by adjusting the screen to be slightly below eye level and sit an arm’s distance away from your screen.
- Consider asking your eye care professional for a free trial of Biofinity Energys®, a lens built with your digital lifestyle in mind. Biofinity Energys® contact lenses help with eye tiredness caused by focusing on close-up digital devices. In fact, 75% of wearers agree that Biofinity Energys® lenses help their eyes feel less tired at the end of the day, even after a long day of using digital devices1.
Following these practices will allow you to stay productive while keeping your eyes feeling comfortable.
1. CVI Data on file 2016. Prospective, multi-center, subject-masked, bilateral, one month dispensing study in USA with Biofinity Energys in existing Biofinity sphere wearers. N=52. After 2 weeks.
CooperVision is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of soft contact lenses and related products and services.